Are you in the market for a new mattress? Considering the fact that we spend a third of our lives asleep, selecting the right bed at the right price is an important life decision. After all, you’re going to spend at least 10-years with your new mattress, so you might as well get something that lasts and gives you a good night’s sleep.
However, when shopping for a new mattress, it might surprise you to learn that there are times during the year when you can make significant savings on your purchase. Some retailers offer discounts of as much as 60% during the sales season; all you need to do is position yourself to take advantage of the low prices.
In this article, we’ll discuss the best ways to save money on your mattress purchase, as well as a buyer’s guide to selecting the mattress that suits your lifestyle and sleeping requirements.
When Are the Best Times of the Year to Buy a New Mattress?
During the late winter or early spring, most mattress manufacturers run seasonal sales with deep discounts on their range. New models typically launch between February and May, and mattress retailers are looking to get rid of their old stock. You could find deals of up to 50% to 60% off the retail selling price in some cases.
Holiday weekends are the next big sales season for mattress retailers. Final sales are common on Memorial Day, Presidents Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, and Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. This time of the year has the best deals, as the new stock arrives, and retailers offer you significant discounts on most of the older models from the previous year.
Look Out for Online Deals
Most mattress retailers offer year-round deals online to spur sales. You might find a mattress waiting for you at the right price, right now. However, we recommend waiting for Black Friday or Cyber Monday for the best deals online.
If you’re desperate for a new mattress, and you can’t wait long, then sign up for a few mailing lists with online retailers. These retailers frequently send deals to their email list, and you could also get discount coupons as well.
Mattress in a Box Companies
There has been a rise in the past few years of “Mattress in a Box” companies which aim to provide an alternative to traditional mattress retailers.
Because you are buying a mattress “Blind” so to speak, a lot of these companies offer generous return policies which allow you to try out the new mattress for a period of days. This ranges from 30 nights all the way up to 365 night trials.
These mattresses will be delivered rolled up in a box, you will need to unpack them and let the rest as they take some time to take on their correct shape.
It should be noted that if you do decide to return one of these mattresses it will hard or even impossible for you to get them back in the original box for collection. You will also have to have space to store your old mattress while you test the new one.
Most companies will collect the mattress for free if you decide not to keep it.
Here are some of the leaders in this category of mattress retailer:
Expanding On the Best Dates to Buy a New Mattress
Buying a mattress is a challenging task. There are so many retailers online and offline; that it might feel like finding a needle in a haystack when it comes to selecting your new mattress. We decided to expand on the best dates to buy a bed. Read through the reviews below, and see if any of the dates are close to you.
When the spring rolls around, mattress dealers start advertising sales. Most mattress retailers start the sales season on Memorial Day Weekend. This date is the best time for buying a new mattress, and you might find a dealer that’s offering discounts as high as 60% on all of their stock.
Keep your eye out for new retailers that open online or offline during this period. You might find a new dealer that launches promotional pricing to capture market share.
Most mattress dealers will launch a promotion over a long weekend to entice both online and offline shoppers from taking advantage of the low pricing. The summer and fall are the best times of the year to be on the lookout for deals.
The 4th marks mattress retailers entrance into the sales season. During the summer, most mattress dealers make way for new stock landing from the manufacturer. As a result, they’re willing to mark down their old inventory significantly. Some retailers might offer deals with a 40% to 60% discount.
Labor Day is the unofficial “Black Friday” for mattress dealers. This date marks the height of the sales season for dealers, and you can also find the best deals. However, by this stage of the season, you might find that you have limited options for mattresses, as most of the good deals are gone already.
The Thanksgiving weekend marks the start of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Many online retailers will pump promotional deals on these dates, and you can find a great deal online.
However, once again, it’s important to note that many dealers will deplete their stock by this date. Therefore, it might limit the range of choice on offer. That said, retailers will be desperate to clear old stock by this stage of the year, and you might find a fantastic deal on a mattress.
The end of the winter marks the start of the sales season. The new stock starts arriving at mattress retailers from February or March, and new models continue to flood the market until May. You might find some good promotional deals on top-brands.
Tips for Buying a Mattress Online
Most Americans are trading brick-and-mortar retail locations for online stores when buying anything. It should come as no surprise that mattress retailers and buyers are also migrating their spending and selling online as well.
However, buying a mattress online presents a situation that has both pros and cons. let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of buying your mattress from an online retailer.
The Pros of Buying Your Mattress Online
What are the advantages of buying your mattress on the internet, instead of with a brick-and-mortar retailer?
- Mattress stores are typically large premises that have serious overheads to consider for running the shop floor. Therefore, by buying online, you can get a discounted price because the retailer doesn’t have the same operating costs.
- Some offline retailers might mark up the price of mattresses by as much as 60% to account for the increase in costs of running the business. This lower operating cost translates into huge savings online, and most mattress dealers offer specials all-year-round.
- While most online retailers do have sales around the holidays mentioned above, you can find consistently lower prices online all through the year.
No Annoying Sales People
- Every offline mattress dealer employs sales staff to manage the shop floor and attend to customers. The salesperson often gets a commission on their sales. Therefore, they have an incentive to sell you a mattress, and some salespeople can be rather pushy in their attempts to get you to buy.
- Searching for your new mattress online allows you to browse through the offerings without an annoying salesperson trying to close you on what they think you should buy.
- If you visit an offline mattress dealer, you might find their stock offering disappointing. The retailer might only stock certain brands, or they might not have what you’re looking for in the store. Dragging your partner around three or four mattress stores is a heck of a way to spend your Saturday morning, and it will leave both of your feeling exhausted.
- Shopping online takes away all off this hassle. All you need to do is browse through the listings and choose what model you want. Online retailers have far more choice, and you can find and brand or model you’re looking for online.
The Cons of Buying Your Mattress Online
What are the disadvantages of buying your mattress online instead of visiting a brick-and-mortar mattress showroom?
No Product Testing
- The biggest drawback of shopping for your new mattress online is that you don’t get a chance to test the product before you buy it. However, you can make a short-list of beds you like, and then visit a mattress dealer to view it before you decide on buying.
- It’s also important to note that most quality mattresses come with a sleep trial or a money-back guarantee that allows you to exchange or refund the bed if you aren’t satisfied with your purchase.
Longer Shipping Process
- Ordering online might take less of your time wandering through the retailer’s showroom floors. However, it usually takes a lot longer to receive your mattress. Some retailers only manufacture to order, and you could wait for up to 2-weeks for the processing of your order, and then another week for shipping.
- Ordering from a physical retail location usually has the mattress set up in your bedroom in less than 48-hours.
No Room to Negotiate
- Unlike the savvy salespeople who have the training to offer you a discount when you start to negotiate at a retail location, buying online doesn’t afford you this opportunity. The price you see online is the price you pay, and there’s no manager or sales clerk to ask for a discount.
Tips for Deciding on the Best Mattress for You
In this section, we’ll give you some tips for buying the right mattress for you. There are plenty of different options when purchasing a new bed. The types of mattresses you’ll find in retail outlets, and online include the following.
- Memory Foam and Gel – These mattresses offer you a comfortable night’s sleep. The mattress conforms to your body shape, making it feel like you’re sleeping “in” the bed, rather than on its surface. You get varying degrees of firmness, ranging from a 5 to an 8, depending on your preference.
- Innerspring – These mattresses rely on coiled springs to support you. They don’t have the same luxurious feel and support of a memory foam mattress, and they’re usually the cheapest kinds of beds you can buy.
- Hybrid – This model takes the best of memory foam and innerspring beds, and rolls them together in one package. You get additional support from the innersprings in the base, along with the comfort of a memory foam topper.
- Memory Foam Toppers – These toppers allow you to turn your old innerspring mattress into a hybrid memory foam bed. These toppers come in thicknesses of up to 3-inches and roll out on the top of your mattress. You get the benefits of sleeping on memory foam at a fraction of the price of buying a new memory foam bed.
Tips for Selecting the Best Mattress
When it comes time to settle on your favorite mattress, you might find yourself spoiled for choice. Here are a few tips you can use to ensure you’re getting the best deal to suit your sleep and your bank account.
Critical questions you need to take into account when buying a new mattress include the following.
- What’s your sleeping position? Do you sleep on your side, stomach, or back?
- What level of firmness do you prefer in your mattress?
- What’s the best size bed for your bedroom?
Be Flexible with Your Budget
You might find yourself increasing your budget as you look through all of the offerings at mattress retailers. Sure, you can increase your budget a bit if you feel like spending more on your mattress. After all, you’re going to spend plenty of time with your new bed and paying a little more than you would expect for a bed that’s worth the money is a worthwhile investment in your health.
Take Time Deciding
Many people make the mistake of taking the first mattress that meets their needs. However, it might surprise you how much prices can differ between retailers. You might find the same bed for a discounted price somewhere else. It pays to spend a few days doing your research on retailers and pricing before you decide on what you want.
Don’t Be Afraid to Leave It
Therefore, it’s a wise idea to create an account with an online retailer, and then leave the mattress you like in your shopping cart. Exit the site and leave it for a few days. You might receive an email from the retailer offering you a discount if you complete your purchase.
In Closing – The Best Time to Buy a Mattress Is When You Need It
There’s plenty of dates throughout the year where you can find exclusive deals on mattresses. However, waiting around for the best deal while you sleep on an uncomfortable bed will make your life a misery. Instead, bite the bullet and choose something that’s on offer right now, rather than running the risk of waking up feeling terrible in the morning.